Saturday, August 14, 2010

Working for a and Not Working at Living

Man, the summer is certainly over.

I know, I know, I know I should be grateful that I get some kind of summer break when so many people do not. I know that. And I used to be one of those people. And I don't forget that. And I am grateful.

But it's still rough when the doors slam down again on your feelings (as erroneous as they may be at the time) of having leisure time to kill.

These last two weeks I've divided my time between wineshop hours, preparing for classes, and sitting, staring catatonically ahead. (A little bit too much of the last one)

I have two weeks and a couple of days until classes start. I have one of three classes prepared for, and I just remembered a fourth one I said I'd do. That's two classes on top of my load that I'm doing for free. What was I thinking!?!

To be fair, the one I just remembered won't take much time to teach, but there's still scheduling and arranging to be done for it. I want to do as much of that now as possible, because I certainly won't have time this year. I've revamped one of my classes, and I think I've found a more effective way to teach writing to my students. Unfortunately it means that I'll have to be spot on with grading their papers. No letting them slide like I have done. Zoinks, Scoob!

I'm going to run myself into the ground this semester, absolutely run myself into the ground.

On top of everything, this month will be the third month in a row that the car is going into the shop. It's an 11 year old Honda Civic that I commute with on top of having driven it across the country and back. Still it's making up for a relative maintenance free year and a half or so. Still, each repair has been cheaper than another comparable car. I don't want to think what will happen when this baby finally craps out on me.

I think it's time for a Looney Tunes break ... or maybe not.

You see, I've been reacting to my stress by compulsively buying things off of my Amazon wish list. (I know, I know. Smart move - forestall money worries by spending money. Hey, I never said I was either strong or smart!) My recent prize possession is volumes one and two of the Looney Tunes Golden Collection. Eight discs of some of the greatest American cartoons ever made. Seriously, some of these are just shear genius. Just looking at it makes me happy. But that's mostly all I do is look at it, as opposed to looking at it.

You see, I'm so pleased to have it that I'm hesitant to actually watch it, 'cause I feel once I watch it I won't have it anymore in the same way.

I know!! Can you believe I'm over 40? I don't know what "in the second half of your life" is supposed to be, but I'm pretty damn sure it's supposed to be more together and more responsible than this!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home