Wednesday, June 30, 2010

Cat Got My Tongue

I love my cat. I really do.

I don't talk about him a lot because people get weird about people who like their pets. It's true. If you complain about "that damn dog" and how he's "dumb as a post" and how it's a pain to walk him and how the kids never clean up after him and how you don't know why you got the damn thing, then no one blinks an eye. They're like, "Yeah, I hear ya', man." But if you talk about how much you love your ferret and how you think it's cute the way he steals things and how comforting it is that he likes to curl up in your hair when you sleep, people look at you like you're unbalanced.

It's like it's okay to have pets as long as they are, at the least, disposable and dismissible aspects of your life -- like it's a mark of character that you can draw an emotional boundary as far as your pets are concerned, like it's some holdover from farm culture that is far away for many of us. "Don't get too attached to those goldfish of yours. We'll have to slaughter and eat them come winter! Girl, survival does not favor sissies! You got to be able to make the right decision when it comes down to you and Mr. Blinky!"

Like, I got Fezzik from the SPCA where he was turned in by a family whose breadwinner lost his/her job and they had to move. Now, I don't know their struggles, I don't know their lives, I've tried not to judge, but really ... how much does it cost to take care of one cat? In fact, I've got their cat, and I take, I think, really good care of him. And I probably spend more on Netflix than I do on Fezzik, including his vet visits to date.

Anyway, I really dig my cat. I like living with him. I like the routines we've fallen into. In fact, one of the great things about summer is that I get to spend most of the day with him. I feel like he likes it too. The lady at the SPCA said that he didn't seem to know what to do with the other cats but he was always hanging around the workers. I can see that. I think he really likes to be around people. Where my previous cat would periodically disappear for parts of the day (a real feat in my tiny apartment) Fezzik likes to nap within a couple of feet of me. Right now, I think he's over by the stairs or the window on the other side of our place, and that's rare.

I'm sorry. I didn't mean to go off there. I guess I'm a gonner come winter. Just ... when I die ... please ... could someone take care of Fezzik?

1 Comments:

Anonymous Carolyn said...

Yes. You can name me as a potential guardian for Fezzik in your will. Seriously.

I miss having a cat in my life. (But that doesn't mean you should go kicking the bucket anytime soon!)

4:01 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home