The Effect of Exhaustion on Man-in-the-Moon Marigolds ... and Us
I'm tired. I want to go back to sleep. I want to spend the day with Fezzik. I wish it were Saturday.
Yesterday morning I dragged myself out of bed, into a shower, into clothes, and into my car after having just gotten in a few hours before. On the way to school I developed a headache. I can feel the same one now. Can you get a headache from exhaustion?
Macbeth, Ph.D. opened Wednesday night, and it was a study in how one weak link destroys a chain.
At the start of the process, I advised the whole cast to look ahead to this week and get all work out of the way that they could. What they couldn't do early, get extensions for, because this week would be full. One cast member didn't or couldn't do that.
She stayed up all Tuesday night working on a paper that she then wrote in a last minute, two hour, home stretch job at the theater on Wednesday. She's the cast member who is in charge of people's hair. She couldn't do that with her paper, so people were on their own. This put everyone behind schedule when getting ready, which made everyone stressed and cranky.
By show time, she was exhausted, wasted, out-on-her feet tired. She plays Duncan, and though she's killed after the first third of the play, that whole first third hinges on her. She drives half of the scenes including the opening scene.
She was so dead, with no energy and little acting. Her torpor spread like a molasses spill, and the entire first part of the play dragged interminably. We lost five people at the first intermission.
Fortunately it was a wake up call for her and for the rest of the cast. Last night was tight and alive. Two people whose opinions I really care about were even there, and they said nice things. Great.
Greater if I could go back to sleep. I wonder how late I could go in today?
Yesterday morning I dragged myself out of bed, into a shower, into clothes, and into my car after having just gotten in a few hours before. On the way to school I developed a headache. I can feel the same one now. Can you get a headache from exhaustion?
Macbeth, Ph.D. opened Wednesday night, and it was a study in how one weak link destroys a chain.
At the start of the process, I advised the whole cast to look ahead to this week and get all work out of the way that they could. What they couldn't do early, get extensions for, because this week would be full. One cast member didn't or couldn't do that.
She stayed up all Tuesday night working on a paper that she then wrote in a last minute, two hour, home stretch job at the theater on Wednesday. She's the cast member who is in charge of people's hair. She couldn't do that with her paper, so people were on their own. This put everyone behind schedule when getting ready, which made everyone stressed and cranky.
By show time, she was exhausted, wasted, out-on-her feet tired. She plays Duncan, and though she's killed after the first third of the play, that whole first third hinges on her. She drives half of the scenes including the opening scene.
She was so dead, with no energy and little acting. Her torpor spread like a molasses spill, and the entire first part of the play dragged interminably. We lost five people at the first intermission.
Fortunately it was a wake up call for her and for the rest of the cast. Last night was tight and alive. Two people whose opinions I really care about were even there, and they said nice things. Great.
Greater if I could go back to sleep. I wonder how late I could go in today?
0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home