Friday, April 16, 2010

Crying Over Old Onions

I am so burnt out. All I have to do is go into the office and grade, and I don't even want to do that. Somehow I haven't been able to let Macbeth, Ph.D. go. It's like it's still hanging over my head. I'm still dreaming about it.

Maybe it's because I turned around right away and had to start producing The Crapstick of Existence (real title The Onion of Existence). Man, this play really bugs me.

It's a short play by a formerly local playwright about a playwright who's trying to write a play. [Isn't there supposed to be a rule or something that, except for anything done by Kander & Ebb, only theater people like plays about the theater?]

We learn he's neglecting his wife. We learn he's basing his two characters on him and his wife when they first met. We learn that he's basing his play on their first meeting. The first of three scenes are the two characters flirting and self-referentially talking about different styles of plays. They break the fourth wall at the end and then reveal that we've just been watching actors in rehearsal. In the second scene, in the playwright's house, they show up as hallucinations that only he can see, commenting on the two characters they're based on. Right, it's that kind of play.

Reality within a reality. Play within a play within a play. Yawn! Been there. Seen that. Plus -- male playwright working through his work vs. relationship issues -- I don't know if it's auto-biographical, but the whole thing feels self-indulgent and "cutesy" to me. Also, the main character is a male! It's his story! It's all about him! What the hell are we doing putting on a play where the main character is a male? We're an all-women's college! That just makes no sense to me.

But I didn't choose it. It came from our guest director who used to be local, went away, and came back. Now all the guys she knows are older tier actors who we always use, guys in their 40s and 50s coming in and pawing up our 20 (and less than 20) year-olds who have to play their girlfriends and wives. I don't know about the rest of the audience, but it sure makes me uncomfortable to watch it. Yet we do it over and over again.

I mentioned the age discrepancy to the director. She just said, "Well, that's because you're so young. Vay [This guy's nickname] doesn't seem so old to me." Give me strength. Or give me a barf bag for the scene where our male playwright has his alter-ego unbutton the blouse of his wife while attempting to be amorous. Keep in mind, the actor on one side of the buttons will most likely be old enough to be the father of the actor on the other side.

Is it any wonder I just want to stay home with Fezzik and worry about how I'm going to make ends meet next year?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home