Another One Opens Up
Macbeth, Ph.D. opens tonight. We've got some last minute costuming to be done, some last minute props. The actors are ready. I think we've got the tech set. Can you tell I'm going through stuff in my head?
No, we're good, knock on wood. I'm eager to see the show grow. Now that, like a newborn colt, it's found its feet, I look forward to it, with an audience, finding its head.
I just hope it does well. I really feel like I need one in the "win" column -- first, just for my own piece of mind; second, for professional reasons. I think the administration is going to do what it has to do, but if I can show them my work is pretty good, at least I can make decisions that are adverse to me harder for them to execute.
Ha! "Execute." Macbeth. Get it?
No, wait. Macbeth is more about assassination. Although you could say that Macduff executes Macbeth at the end ... but not really. Really that's just another assassination.
Oh, well. Gonna finish my cereal, head off to school, and see if I can think of anything I've forgotten ... and get some milk.
I've been pounding milk these last few days. I don't know why. I wonder if it's a new performance-oriented fixation? When we were working on Othello, I started listening to Yes, non-stop, bought three of their albums, even. I mean, I'm okay with Yes; I already had an album of theirs, but they're not usually high on my play list. And once Othello was up, the craving went away. I wonder if this milk thing will be the same thing?
I've been listening to The Beatles a lot. I've just bought Revolver and Rubber Soul on CD. (Of course, I've owned them on vinyl for years.) I've been listening to Rubber Soul, specifically, with new ears. It's interesting to pick through and try to hear them hear other people. There's the R&B influence. There's the soul, of course. I don't think I ever realized before how much songs like "Nowhere Man" with its intensely tight harmony must be a product of them reacting to Brain Wilson's harmonies in The Beach Boys. Also, as I get older I like George Harrison's work more and more. It's still dizzying for me to put on something like Rubber Soul and then Magical Mystery Tour and convince myself that they're done by the same writers just a couple years apart.
Okay, cereal done.
No, we're good, knock on wood. I'm eager to see the show grow. Now that, like a newborn colt, it's found its feet, I look forward to it, with an audience, finding its head.
I just hope it does well. I really feel like I need one in the "win" column -- first, just for my own piece of mind; second, for professional reasons. I think the administration is going to do what it has to do, but if I can show them my work is pretty good, at least I can make decisions that are adverse to me harder for them to execute.
Ha! "Execute." Macbeth. Get it?
No, wait. Macbeth is more about assassination. Although you could say that Macduff executes Macbeth at the end ... but not really. Really that's just another assassination.
Oh, well. Gonna finish my cereal, head off to school, and see if I can think of anything I've forgotten ... and get some milk.
I've been pounding milk these last few days. I don't know why. I wonder if it's a new performance-oriented fixation? When we were working on Othello, I started listening to Yes, non-stop, bought three of their albums, even. I mean, I'm okay with Yes; I already had an album of theirs, but they're not usually high on my play list. And once Othello was up, the craving went away. I wonder if this milk thing will be the same thing?
I've been listening to The Beatles a lot. I've just bought Revolver and Rubber Soul on CD. (Of course, I've owned them on vinyl for years.) I've been listening to Rubber Soul, specifically, with new ears. It's interesting to pick through and try to hear them hear other people. There's the R&B influence. There's the soul, of course. I don't think I ever realized before how much songs like "Nowhere Man" with its intensely tight harmony must be a product of them reacting to Brain Wilson's harmonies in The Beach Boys. Also, as I get older I like George Harrison's work more and more. It's still dizzying for me to put on something like Rubber Soul and then Magical Mystery Tour and convince myself that they're done by the same writers just a couple years apart.
Okay, cereal done.
0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home