Checking Back In
Jesus Christ! It's been a long time since I've posted. Sorry about that.
School's started up again, and boy have I hit the ground running. I don't think I've ever been this deep into things this quickly. It's all due to a combination of things. Suffice it to say, my classroom antics have not been affected yet, but I've been playing catch up since Day One. I don't like that feeling.
I'm still working on Othello. We're about to go into our last week of actual rehearsal. After that it's Tech Week and open. I think in terms of the acting the play's in good shape. On the production end ... things feel a little more scattered. I don't know. Maybe it's because I'm finally in a different place than just about everyone else. I've finally gotten to a place where all my time is spent working on theater. Sure, I've still got a day job, but it's a day job teaching theater. I benefit from a singularity of focus that no one else on the project does. Everyone is trying to balance a show on top of other jobs and family responsibilities with no or little material compensation to back them up. Things have been like that in town for so long that people are just used to it, I guess. But I still don't see it as a healthy state of affairs as far as our artistic endeavors are concerned. You get good at stuff not just by doing it but by doing it and studying it and resting from it and thinking about it and training with it and that's all a tall order when all you've got to put towards it are a few hours relegated to it in the evening.
Wow. I got "Depressing - Soap Boxy" real quick. Maybe this is why I'm not blogging as much as I used to.
School's started up again, and boy have I hit the ground running. I don't think I've ever been this deep into things this quickly. It's all due to a combination of things. Suffice it to say, my classroom antics have not been affected yet, but I've been playing catch up since Day One. I don't like that feeling.
I'm still working on Othello. We're about to go into our last week of actual rehearsal. After that it's Tech Week and open. I think in terms of the acting the play's in good shape. On the production end ... things feel a little more scattered. I don't know. Maybe it's because I'm finally in a different place than just about everyone else. I've finally gotten to a place where all my time is spent working on theater. Sure, I've still got a day job, but it's a day job teaching theater. I benefit from a singularity of focus that no one else on the project does. Everyone is trying to balance a show on top of other jobs and family responsibilities with no or little material compensation to back them up. Things have been like that in town for so long that people are just used to it, I guess. But I still don't see it as a healthy state of affairs as far as our artistic endeavors are concerned. You get good at stuff not just by doing it but by doing it and studying it and resting from it and thinking about it and training with it and that's all a tall order when all you've got to put towards it are a few hours relegated to it in the evening.
Wow. I got "Depressing - Soap Boxy" real quick. Maybe this is why I'm not blogging as much as I used to.
0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home