Their House, MyPod
Well, for the third day in a row, instead of getting any actual work done, I'm sitting here, loading music on my new iPod and catching up with the life I put on hold in the fall. Or maybe it should more appropriately be titled, "fallout of Directapalooza 2007/2008."
Though not officially part of D'ooza07/08, the back-to-back nature of Nunsense and A Christmas Carol -- a result of last-minute schedule changes -- sure felt like it. I'm looking forward to getting this ten minute for Tandem done with. It's not like it's taking up a lot of time or energy. It's just I won't start fully healing until I have that feeling of "Nothing ... nothing left to do." It's like I've gotten out of the pool but am still holding my breath.
I've almost filled up all 7G of my new iPod with music and I feel I've barely scratched the surface of my music collection. Bummer. But yea! I finally have an iPod! I'll be able to have more music on me than I ever have before (not to mention all of Shakespeare). That's something. Now all I need is one of those "Broadcast Your iPod to Your Car Radio" thingies and my drives across the mountain to work will never be the same. Let's see how long it takes me to get tired of 7 Gs of music.
The cool thing is I've been able to replicate my idiosyncratic organizational system. When I look at the Genres on my iPod, I see ...
Life Changing Greats
Hip Chicks
British Rock
American Rock
Folk
R&B
Hip Hop/Rap
Country
Blues
Jazz
Show Tunes
Comedy
Anthologies
(albeit in alphabetical order) Okay, so maybe it's not all that ground-breaking, but it's mine, and the first six mean more to me than trying to decide between Rock, Classic Rock, Pop, Rock n' Roll, Alternative, New Wave, Punk, etc., etc., etc. I mean where would you classify Talking Heads? Huh? Huh? Right. So fuck it, it's "American Rock."
What's missing is ...
Soul
World
Classical
A Cappella
And as I'm almost full, I don't know that any of those CDs will make it on now.
As I housesit for some friends of mine, evenings have been hijacked by another friend, most specifically one of his Christmas presents -- Seasons 1-4 of House, M.D. This is my first exposure to the show even though people have been telling me to check it out for a while.
You have to understand, since the 60s, every television season the broadcast networks crank out 1) a cop or lawyer show (often both), 2) a doctor show, 3) a comedy based around a family, and 4) a work-based situation comedy (where work turns into a pseudo family). I grew up watching them. For the most part, I'm done with numbers 1 & 2. So I've checked in with but haven't watched the CSI's, the Law & Orders. I've never seen NYPD Blue or Cold Case or The Closer (which is an FBI show, I think). Nor have a seen a single episode of ER or even St. Elsewhere. Do I need more fictional worlds where cops and doctors are skilled, caring, heroes. No. Been there. I'm done.
But I'm housesitting, and part of the fun of that is getting away from my stuff. I tried House M.D. So sue me. Is The Practice still on? You could get a lawyer from there ... except they're defense attorneys, aren't they? Anyway, back to House.
It's very watchable and I'm enjoying going through it, but I'd hoped it would be a bit more original. It's basically the formula of Law & Order in a medical context (One of the producers in the extras of Season One pretty much comes out and says this.) with a central character modeled on Sherlock Holmes and the romantic affairs, sympathetic patients, and intrigues of medical soap operas played for drama. But hey ... it passes the time, like visual popcorn, and I'm very grateful to my friend for the diversion.
On a more positive hand, I've finally gotten off my ass and back in touch with a bunch of music that I've allowed to drift away and missed -- that's the neo-folk Northeastern singer/song writer. (Yeah, if you don't like the stuff, bash it on your own blog.) When I lived in Philadelphia I could run across that stuff on the radio. Here, it's a desert. I mean, I've got all the bluegrass and old-time music I could want. And where I appreciate the extended introduction to it, the thing is, after all these years, I still want only so much of it. So I got off my ass and started looking, and I've fond some people, cool. And now that I have an iPod, it actually makes sense to pursue new music again since I'll have more opportunity to hear it.
Though not officially part of D'ooza07/08, the back-to-back nature of Nunsense and A Christmas Carol -- a result of last-minute schedule changes -- sure felt like it. I'm looking forward to getting this ten minute for Tandem done with. It's not like it's taking up a lot of time or energy. It's just I won't start fully healing until I have that feeling of "Nothing ... nothing left to do." It's like I've gotten out of the pool but am still holding my breath.
I've almost filled up all 7G of my new iPod with music and I feel I've barely scratched the surface of my music collection. Bummer. But yea! I finally have an iPod! I'll be able to have more music on me than I ever have before (not to mention all of Shakespeare). That's something. Now all I need is one of those "Broadcast Your iPod to Your Car Radio" thingies and my drives across the mountain to work will never be the same. Let's see how long it takes me to get tired of 7 Gs of music.
The cool thing is I've been able to replicate my idiosyncratic organizational system. When I look at the Genres on my iPod, I see ...
Life Changing Greats
Hip Chicks
British Rock
American Rock
Folk
R&B
Hip Hop/Rap
Country
Blues
Jazz
Show Tunes
Comedy
Anthologies
(albeit in alphabetical order) Okay, so maybe it's not all that ground-breaking, but it's mine, and the first six mean more to me than trying to decide between Rock, Classic Rock, Pop, Rock n' Roll, Alternative, New Wave, Punk, etc., etc., etc. I mean where would you classify Talking Heads? Huh? Huh? Right. So fuck it, it's "American Rock."
What's missing is ...
Soul
World
Classical
A Cappella
And as I'm almost full, I don't know that any of those CDs will make it on now.
As I housesit for some friends of mine, evenings have been hijacked by another friend, most specifically one of his Christmas presents -- Seasons 1-4 of House, M.D. This is my first exposure to the show even though people have been telling me to check it out for a while.
You have to understand, since the 60s, every television season the broadcast networks crank out 1) a cop or lawyer show (often both), 2) a doctor show, 3) a comedy based around a family, and 4) a work-based situation comedy (where work turns into a pseudo family). I grew up watching them. For the most part, I'm done with numbers 1 & 2. So I've checked in with but haven't watched the CSI's, the Law & Orders. I've never seen NYPD Blue or Cold Case or The Closer (which is an FBI show, I think). Nor have a seen a single episode of ER or even St. Elsewhere. Do I need more fictional worlds where cops and doctors are skilled, caring, heroes. No. Been there. I'm done.
But I'm housesitting, and part of the fun of that is getting away from my stuff. I tried House M.D. So sue me. Is The Practice still on? You could get a lawyer from there ... except they're defense attorneys, aren't they? Anyway, back to House.
It's very watchable and I'm enjoying going through it, but I'd hoped it would be a bit more original. It's basically the formula of Law & Order in a medical context (One of the producers in the extras of Season One pretty much comes out and says this.) with a central character modeled on Sherlock Holmes and the romantic affairs, sympathetic patients, and intrigues of medical soap operas played for drama. But hey ... it passes the time, like visual popcorn, and I'm very grateful to my friend for the diversion.
On a more positive hand, I've finally gotten off my ass and back in touch with a bunch of music that I've allowed to drift away and missed -- that's the neo-folk Northeastern singer/song writer. (Yeah, if you don't like the stuff, bash it on your own blog.) When I lived in Philadelphia I could run across that stuff on the radio. Here, it's a desert. I mean, I've got all the bluegrass and old-time music I could want. And where I appreciate the extended introduction to it, the thing is, after all these years, I still want only so much of it. So I got off my ass and started looking, and I've fond some people, cool. And now that I have an iPod, it actually makes sense to pursue new music again since I'll have more opportunity to hear it.
1 Comments:
But nary a comment on the genius of Hugh Laurie's perfect American accent and being? After his perfection as Bertie Wooster? And Black Adder's boss, the nincompoop Prince? You're a tough man.
Post a Comment
<< Home