Tuesday, November 18, 2008

Updates

An update on the job situation ...
The current financial collapse has destabilized my college colleague's plans to retire this year. Surprise. Surprise. Her financial advisor has advised her to phase her "phased retirement" out another year in the hopes that in that time the Market will get its head out of the ground and begin to scamper across the outback again. This is good news for me as it means that next year will be another full-time year.

The bad news is my department boss floated the idea of making my part-time job full-time for full-time (I would then be welcome to apply for it) and the float-ats gave a resounding "Uh ... uh ... um ... uh ... yeah ... we're not ... uh ... problems with that ... um ... division vote ... uh ... rest of faculty ... dangerous precedent in terms of budgetary allocation ... um ... ugh." Excuse the use of technical terms.

So they didn't say, "Blerg!" but they gave a resounding "ugh." My boss is all, "Never say die until they say, 'Blerg!'" but I think realistically the blerg is on the wall and it's just a matter of next year time until it hits the fan. But we'll see what happens next year when Boss asks again. Ugh.

An update on the play ...
We're now at the part of the process I've dreaded from the beginning. We've got this week and then we're in Tech. For the rest of this week we're missing one cast member in our ensemble show. It's a conflict I knew about at the beginning and accepted in casting this person and thought to work towards. So I pushed our rehearsal schedule so that we'd be able to do runs of the show before we lose this person. Now, of course, we could just do this person's scenes either imagining that she's there or having someone like an assistant stage manager "walk her part," but my experience is that you don't get enough benefit rehearsing that way so I worked to avoid those options -- get to runs early enough and then work scenes this cast member is not in for this week that she's gone.

Unfortunately unforeseen absences (ah, there are always unforeseen absences, you know) of other cast members prevented us from doing our previously scrupulously scheduled runs. This means we get to put all the pieces of the show together just once or twice before we go into Tech. Not a bad situation. Shows have seen worse. But it's not as good a situation as I wanted.

An update on my life ...
I get a life when A Christmas Carol goes up.

An update on my sleep patterns ...
It's 3:54 a.m. and I'm writing a blog.

2 Comments:

Blogger leemoyer said...

blerg?

You're use of complex professional jargon has got me rather confused old thing.

4:11 PM  
Blogger - caj said...

Ah, you haven't been watching enough of the inimitable Tina Fey and her fine work on 30 Rock. "Blerg" is a term she's coined on that show that's starting to take a life among Tina Fey fans.

3:13 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home