Nun But the Worthy
This is from an email I just wrote to another friend of mine ...
"Thanks for asking about Nunsense. It's starting to pull past my fears and expectations. Last night I gave the cast an impassioned talk about energy during numbers and energy in choreography and energy at the ends of lines and energy in the first and last number and the energy needed to tell the audience that you think what you're doing is important and energy when making crosses and, hell, energy in the Gulf, I don't know. Any energy I could think of I talked about, and tonight, for the first time, they pulled out a run that was in the ball park of being on the mark. They were feeling very good afterwards (as they should've). I think I hadn't realized how much they were scared that they wouldn't be able to pull off the show. Much of that, I imagine is my fault, since I didn't do a very good job of hiding my own concerns. (That's what you get working with a cast of all college age women. They pick up on everything ... except the lines, the pop culture references from over ten years ago, and the sexual jokes*. I just hope they can get some rest, poor dears, and don't get sick or lose their voices by the end of the week.
- caj
"*So both last night and tonight have presented moments when I learn [sic] that people have misunderstood or missed major jokes that they're delivering. Tonight, it was our little Miranda's turn. She plays Sister Mary Amnesia and is one of those gifted students who skipped high school and went right to Mary Baldwin. Yeah, she's a junior and about to turn 17. She has the line, "You know, I always know what time it is. You see at the convent we have this big clock with the twelve apostles on it. And I know that when the big hand is on the Peter and the little hand is on the John that it's time for the sisters to all get down on their knees ... and pray!"
"Now she got the "down on their knees thing" She knew that right off. But tonight she confessed surprise that she got a laugh at "John" and "Peter." When we explained to her that they were both slang for penis she was mortified."
"Eww! I'll have to apologize to my grandparents!" she said. Ah, youth.
"Thanks for asking about Nunsense. It's starting to pull past my fears and expectations. Last night I gave the cast an impassioned talk about energy during numbers and energy in choreography and energy at the ends of lines and energy in the first and last number and the energy needed to tell the audience that you think what you're doing is important and energy when making crosses and, hell, energy in the Gulf, I don't know. Any energy I could think of I talked about, and tonight, for the first time, they pulled out a run that was in the ball park of being on the mark. They were feeling very good afterwards (as they should've). I think I hadn't realized how much they were scared that they wouldn't be able to pull off the show. Much of that, I imagine is my fault, since I didn't do a very good job of hiding my own concerns. (That's what you get working with a cast of all college age women. They pick up on everything ... except the lines, the pop culture references from over ten years ago, and the sexual jokes*. I just hope they can get some rest, poor dears, and don't get sick or lose their voices by the end of the week.
- caj
"*So both last night and tonight have presented moments when I learn [sic] that people have misunderstood or missed major jokes that they're delivering. Tonight, it was our little Miranda's turn. She plays Sister Mary Amnesia and is one of those gifted students who skipped high school and went right to Mary Baldwin. Yeah, she's a junior and about to turn 17. She has the line, "You know, I always know what time it is. You see at the convent we have this big clock with the twelve apostles on it. And I know that when the big hand is on the Peter and the little hand is on the John that it's time for the sisters to all get down on their knees ... and pray!"
"Now she got the "down on their knees thing" She knew that right off. But tonight she confessed surprise that she got a laugh at "John" and "Peter." When we explained to her that they were both slang for penis she was mortified."
"Eww! I'll have to apologize to my grandparents!" she said. Ah, youth.
1 Comments:
"Ah, youth" indeed!
I'm glad the thing is coming together!
Post a Comment
<< Home