Saturday, August 09, 2008

Info Revo Stillo Boffo

I keep saying this, and I keep finding reasons to say this again ... I love the Information Revolution.

Sitting at the end of a high-speed Internet connection, I just know there's cool stuff out there waiting to be stumbled across. Case in point ...

I've known about flickr for a while and haven't paid much attention to it. But today I stumbled across this lady's photos ... turns out there's this challenge or suggestion or project or group in flickr where people commit themselves to taking a picture a day for 365 days. This woman is a professional photographer (and waitress), and I'm really grooving on her pictures. Plus, she's her own subject, more often than not, so there's an auto-biographical flavor that I'm a sucker for. (If this were 365 pictures of beaches, I wouldn't be so psyched. Not that I have anything against beaches, I just find people more interesting. Now, people on beaches ... with great bods ... in skimpy suits ... but nobody likes it when I go there.) :P

So, part of what I never realized or paid attention to about flickr is that it's really designed to be a community website for photographers. So not only is she posting pictures, but she's posting for her photographer friends. And there's this function where you can highlight a particular part of a picture and comment on it. (Feel free to nap as I describe this if this is old hat for you.) And, of course, some of these comments are boring like, "Rrrrow!" or "So sexy!" or "Love it!" But some of her comments from her photog friends are educational to me. They're talking about light. They're talking about contrast. They're talking about composition. They see when the newspaper she's arranged in the shot has a headline that's an ironic comment. And she comments. She's complaining about this unwanted shadow and this element that's out of place and she should've swept the floor before the shot. Jesus! How do you photo people develop your eyes for detail? Swept your floor? I don't see anything on your floor but your floor! What are you seeing? Every once and awhile I think about getting into photography, but then something like this comes along and just hurts my inner slacker.

"Ooo! Great! I like your red lips popping out from all the white. Great photo!" - commenter

"What? Her lips are red? Where is that? She has lips? What?" - me

Sigh! I fear I shall never make it as a visual artist ... which is, of course, a large component of the art I purport to practice.

Aaaaand now I'm bummed again.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

So?
Links?

This IS the intarwebs young man, and the kids today expect links!

5:02 PM  
Blogger - caj said...

Oh, okay.

Here.

12:44 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home