Saturday, August 23, 2008

Coming Up ... Lying Back, Thinking of England

So I just got the news that the script that I submitted for A Christmas Carol was rejected for being too radical / too potentially offensive.

I know, I know. Only I can find a version of A Christmas Carol that's potentially offensive. But I liked it.

I'm really starting to have un-Christian thoughts about repressive, conservative Christians.

Anyway, this means I'll have to find a tamer a version and hope I like it as much or better. There's of course the nasty prospect that that won't happen.

That prospect is made even nastier by the fact that, try as I might ... I just don't like Nunsense.

It doesn't make sense (It makes "Nunsense." Yuk, yuk!) in that character behavior doesn't really hold up to heavy scrutiny. The music is only ... okay. It's a light piece of fluff that doesn't have much to offer for itself other than being a light piece of fluff ... but just an okay light piece of fluff. I mean there are light pieces of fluff that are fine as light pieces of fluff because they really are delightful. But for this play ... I'm sure this'll be entertaining to some, but it's yet to really click with me. I saw it years ago and have dim memories of really enjoying myself. Now I'm like, "Ahn ... feh."

However, it being an all female musical with one part specifically written for an African American actor (though not written well -- she references "Mammy." Oh yeah. The Jolson song ... that he did in blackface ... that one. Copyright be damned I'm cuttin' that shit out.) it made so much sense to do at school that I thought to myself, "Well, maybe I'll grow to like it in time."

Theater as an arranged marriage. [Sigh]

Now I face directing two plays back-to-back that I feel just "blah" about. That's not appealing. I've never done a show that I wasn't excited about in some way. I wonder what this will be like ...

...

Wow.

I just fell asleep in front of my computer while writing this ... and dreamed -- no lie -- that I was going out with a young woman I didn't like but didn't have the heart to tell.

Hand to heart. It's like hours later right now.

Gee. I wonder what prompted that?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home