Crunch
Sorry I've fallen behind on my blog promise.
Now is the "crunch time", as I knew it would be -- deep into rehearsals for In the Blood while simultaneously starting the process for Guys & Dolls while at the same time Am I Black Enough Yet? starts gearing up. The AIBEY people want a fixed script by the 11th, and I still have one scene to rewrite and an order change to decide on.
In the minor annoyance column, things keep breaking around me. First it was my computer, which is mostly back, though I still can't print from the new word processing program. Now there's something wrong with my car. I'm taking it in this morning after getting back from a class trip last night at 2 A.M. I'm awake without an alarm in enough time to shoot out this blog, obviously, but I'd be lying if I said I was happy about it. Things like these just take time, energy, and money to deal with, and, of course, I don't need consistent draws on either.
To make things better, I have a TA for my classes, but to make things worse she's just informed me that she's going to have to leave for a couple of weeks to care for an aunt whose having a double mastectomy. That means I have to do my own grading ... and, of course, that her poor aunt (who also has multiple sclerosis) has to have a double mastectomy, which is worse; I admit. But I still don't know how I'm going to get everything done.
A friend of mine has fallen deathly ill. He's at home now being kept comfortable by his partner and a bevy of well-wishing friends. I'd like to be one of them but the timing isn't good. Then again, there's never good timing for these things, is there?
And yes, I know I can take some perspective from that. At least I have my health. I'm not my friend or my TA's aunt or the grandmother of my cast member who's had a stroke and hasn't eaten solid food in a week or my lovely student with cystic fibrosis who seems to be having a breakdown and is refusing to either do her regular treatments or keep her doctor's appointments. At least I have my health ... although if I didn't it wouldn't be crunch time.
Seriously, though, I should make a strong mental note to be diligent about my rest. If I get run down, I will get sick, and that's not the type of break that I want.
Although ... one more kvetch, if you'll allow ... for the past year or so I've developed an uncanny ability to drop and knock over things. What's up with that? Like just now when I fetched my breakfast, I knocked over a whole box of straws down behind something. They'll have to sit there until Saturday morning. I've got a 7:30 a.m. for my car and won't be back home until late, late tonight. Not the type of thing you want developing when you work in a wine shop.
Now is the "crunch time", as I knew it would be -- deep into rehearsals for In the Blood while simultaneously starting the process for Guys & Dolls while at the same time Am I Black Enough Yet? starts gearing up. The AIBEY people want a fixed script by the 11th, and I still have one scene to rewrite and an order change to decide on.
In the minor annoyance column, things keep breaking around me. First it was my computer, which is mostly back, though I still can't print from the new word processing program. Now there's something wrong with my car. I'm taking it in this morning after getting back from a class trip last night at 2 A.M. I'm awake without an alarm in enough time to shoot out this blog, obviously, but I'd be lying if I said I was happy about it. Things like these just take time, energy, and money to deal with, and, of course, I don't need consistent draws on either.
To make things better, I have a TA for my classes, but to make things worse she's just informed me that she's going to have to leave for a couple of weeks to care for an aunt whose having a double mastectomy. That means I have to do my own grading ... and, of course, that her poor aunt (who also has multiple sclerosis) has to have a double mastectomy, which is worse; I admit. But I still don't know how I'm going to get everything done.
A friend of mine has fallen deathly ill. He's at home now being kept comfortable by his partner and a bevy of well-wishing friends. I'd like to be one of them but the timing isn't good. Then again, there's never good timing for these things, is there?
And yes, I know I can take some perspective from that. At least I have my health. I'm not my friend or my TA's aunt or the grandmother of my cast member who's had a stroke and hasn't eaten solid food in a week or my lovely student with cystic fibrosis who seems to be having a breakdown and is refusing to either do her regular treatments or keep her doctor's appointments. At least I have my health ... although if I didn't it wouldn't be crunch time.
Seriously, though, I should make a strong mental note to be diligent about my rest. If I get run down, I will get sick, and that's not the type of break that I want.
Although ... one more kvetch, if you'll allow ... for the past year or so I've developed an uncanny ability to drop and knock over things. What's up with that? Like just now when I fetched my breakfast, I knocked over a whole box of straws down behind something. They'll have to sit there until Saturday morning. I've got a 7:30 a.m. for my car and won't be back home until late, late tonight. Not the type of thing you want developing when you work in a wine shop.
1 Comments:
"deathly ill"?
Like actual death?
My sympathies in any case.
-Lee
Post a Comment
<< Home