Monday, November 12, 2007

Will Video Kill The Theatre Star?

The framing device for the play that goes up Thursday is that a bunch of the characters from the four different storylines are involved in a search for an abducted girl. At the end of the play, we discover that one of the characters, a film student, has made a documentary about their search. We discover this because the last scene of the play is a scene from that documentary. I've chosen to film that scene and show the film in concert with some live movement on stage.

The scene is in two parts. We shot Part One a couple of weeks ago and part two last week. I wasn't able to be at the shooting of Part Two as it took place on a Thursday, and I had to honor my regular Thursday night committment to take one of my classes to see a play. Upon returning to school and seeing the footage from the shoot, I saw that I had not communicated my vision for the shoot clearly. We quickly arranged a reshoot, which we did yesterday to good effect. The only problem was my camera person didn't fast forward far enough past the footage of Part One, and we recorded over a couple of seconds at the end. "No matter," we thought, "for we have already imported that footage to my office mate (and theatre Technical Director) Sam's computer for editing.

You ready for it?

Today, Sam's computer will not stay on for more than five minutes at a time without cutting off again. We've seen this type of behavior before, but it was only limited ... to whenever it would run the editing program ... the one that we were using. Well, now apparently it's happening all the time.

Sam is seeing if he has enough time to copy to files off his tempermental computer to another machine. He says it should be no problem. I'll believe when it's done. Worse comes to worst we can redit from original footage and figure away to dance around the lost couple of seconds. (No lost dialogue, thank goodness.) So this is not a show breaker, but a major annoyance.

Oh the joy!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home