Wednesday, October 24, 2007

Headcase

Congratulate me. I've reached a milestone.

Whenever I talk about spending a lot of time in the Drama Building (or, more specifically, on the Drama floor of the Art Building), my students all ask the same question, "Do you have a toothbrush here yet?" At that point, I always mutter a thank you that I'm not an undergrad anymore. Well ... guess what's a meter behind me?

That's right -- toothbrush and change of clothes. Home is 45 minutes over a rainy mountain away. My first meeting here is at 10:00 a.m., and even though I've had a way productive day, I still have to prepare for both my classes tomorrow. Batten down the hatches, boys! I'm digging in!

I know! I know! But every time I think about how ludicrous this is, I run the alternate scenario in my head.

Scoot home - get there at 11:00 p.m.
Settle in to start working 11:30 p.m.
Once you factor in sleep time, the hour and a half travel time starts looking quite tasty when reallocated to preparing for classes.

And no, this does not make me rethink moving to Staunton. This is a fluke, a bottleneck time because my work at the wineshop last weekend spilled over into Sunday. (This morning I jumped in and out of the shower, threw on dirty clothes, rushed down to the laundry room to pull clean ones out of the hamper, rushed over here, and when I found my student was late, changed in the bathroom.)

Don't look at me like that! Hey, at least I was on time!

Yes, I'd be more comfortable at home and thus maybe more productive. Did I mention it's dark and rainy?

You know ... aren't you supposed to be congratulating me? I specifically remember starting this blog with a solicitation for congratulations!

Okay, fine! Fine! I'll go home ... But I'm leaving the toothbrush here!

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Congratulations.

Your genius in the toothbrush department suggests that your move to Staunton seems assured.

Reality - what a concept!

:)lee

3:35 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home