Sunday, September 09, 2007

Dedicated to the Ones I Love

In the heyday of this blog, I was posting once every three days. I'm going to make a concerted effort to get back to that schedule, 'cause, quite frankly, I miss it. Also, the whole point of this blog is supposed to be so that out-of-town friends (which so many of my friends today are) can get a quick glimpse into what's going on with me. Hard to do that, when I'm not posting.

QUICK GLIMPSE: Twelfth Night ended very well. It was physically exhausting as I had to do something other than sit on my ass. No seriously, when I used to act regularly, I approached acting from a very physical perspective. So, back onstage, I instinctively returned to that, and boy! am I not as thin or as spry as I used to be! Still, the show was one of the most gratifying acting experiences I've ever had. The cast was so strong and so fun and so creative and so inventive, that working with them was a joy. It felt like we really made doing a play about "playing", and that was a wonderful gift. Plus, the director, John Holdren, just had a solid take on how to do the show that worked. (Run it through an homage-like pastiche that was part Astaire/Rogers musical and part Marx Brothers movie -- so we're talking tuxes and gowns and singing and dancing and bunches of Cole Porter added into the piece -- Fun. Fun.) So it not only had fun people to do things with, it was a fun show to do. Also, I'd never thought about it before, but if I had, I would've wanted to have played Sir Toby Belch for years. He was really fun and really interesting ... and really drunk (which is always a plus). A couple of theatre friends have said that Sir Toby was a good part for me. Keep in mind, he's a boorish, insensitive, drunken, carousing, debauching, over-the-hill-frat-boy, aristocrat, so they also made comments about typecasting. I tried to let those go. But seriously. It was Shakespeare meets broad comedy and 30s light movies -- all things that I love, treated with respect and love. Good times. END QUICK GLIMPSE

So as I head into a very, very, very, VERY busy nine months, I'm going to dedicate myself to getting posts up no longer than three days apart. Got your stop watches? As I said to my first girlfriend, "we'll see how long I can keep this up!" (What!?! I was showing her how I could balance a cane on my hand! What did you think I was talking about? You people ...) It might mean shorter posts, but at least information will be going out. (You know, now even that last sentence sounds sexual. Stop thinking about it! Stop it!)

On the positive side, by this point anyone who is not one of my friends has probably stopped reading this blog. So, let me tell you what I really think! ... I don't like Christian's Pizza! The crust is too hard and too bready, which it has to be to support all the fru-fru toppings they use like tortellini and barbeque chicken. And what do they dust it with, corn meal? That has got to go! Their sauce is uninteresting. And all and all their pizza seems to be much more flash than substance. It's like it's pizza for people who don't want to admit that they're eating pizza. Give me a pie from Anna's any day of the week. There! I said it! How's that for raw blogging! Oh, the unabashed daring, the joy from the untrammelled freedom! God, I've been holding that in for way too long ... You're sure Chrisitan doesn't read this blog, right?

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

yay, welcome back!!! *smooches*
xoxonif

4:01 PM  
Blogger Nat said...

Funny, we just had Christian's pizza for dinner and it was quite yummy. Great sauteed mushrooms. The Small One, however, wouldn't eat more than two bites of it...

Glad your blogging again. And very sorry I missed 12th Night.

8:49 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dude!
It's like you read my mind!

I was just about to move your bloggy link down the list for insufficient levels of posting, but then you say you'll be posting more. Good on ya!

The real Iron Man trailer has arrived. Not quite as good or geeky as the ComicCon one, but then it has to play to a bigger crowd...

http://www.apple.com/trailers/paramount/ironman/large_trailer.html

Cheerio,
Lee

7:23 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Vita Nova has it all over Christians.

6:35 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home