Sunday, April 01, 2007

April Foiled Day

Well, it's 9:26 p.m. on Sunday, April First, and I'm just starting my day.

A couple of weeks back, my friend, Todd informed me that a song I did from my only appearance at the Roanoke No Shame last year had been selected for their Best of No Shame. That's two nights, a Friday and Saturday of pieces, and could I come down?

Now, I work both Friday and Saturday, 11 to 12 hour shifts each day, closing the shop both nights, and usually that's not a problem. But every once and awhile I run up against the world of people who have a Saturday/Sunday weekend. Todd's one of those people. And he's always surprised when I remind him that I'm not just chillin' come Friday after 5:00 p.m.

Still and all, I wanted to go and wanted a break from my routine, but I couldn't just not work, needing the money. So I swapped shifts, covering the closings, didn't get done all I usually do, and left the shop at 6:00 p.m. on Friday, drove down to Roanoke (two hours away), performed at Best Of, went out with folks afterwards, caught a few hours (in the theater guest quarters Todd had been able to finagle for me!), jumped in my car at 7:00 a.m., and drove back to C'Ville to make work Saturday morning. Then Saturday evening at 6:00 p.m. it was back in the car and back to Roanoake for the second Best Of after which, I left and drove back up to C'Ville.

They need more rest stops on I-81, that's all I'm saying - more rest stops or they need to space them differently. Because there's one rest stop right outside of Staunton and then the next is 76 miles away, outside of Roanoke. Well, I don't know about others, but for me, I've probably stopped or am coming from Staunton. I don't need to rest outside of it. Where I need to stretch my legs or catch a few winks is after Lexington in that Nowheresville that you have to cross to get down to Roanoke. That's prime nodding off at the wheel time. Although, probably most people just caffeinate their way through things, which I, of course, cannot. I'm starting to become familiar with all the gas stations just off the highway, south of Lexington - Troutville, Natural Bridge, the one I hit last night.

Anyway, I finally rolled back in here just before 2:00 a.m., unpacked, had a snack, settled back and hit the sack around three ... or was it four. I must have been really beat, because I got up this morning around 11 a.m. My plan was to have some grub and then fall into my regular Sunday of grading and class preparation into the wee hours. Lots of work to do. Unfortunately, I started feeling ... off around the end of breakfast.

I don't know if it was something I did or something I ate or not enough prayers to Baal, but you know that slightly bleary, headache behind the eyes, can't really concentrate, off feeling? Well, that was me. I piddled around trying to shake it until it was clear that it was either Quixotically veture out for the promise of over-the-counter relief or try going back to bed. I tried the latter, and holy shit! Where did my day go?

I was thinking of calling Andrew at the shop in a funny voice and demanding that he put together several cases of assorted wines. I was thinking of going to the comic book store and hastling them for impossibly rare back issues. I could have given all my students F's. Looks, instead, like the April Fools joke was on me.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Apparently it was all to the good that I didn't call all the peeps I meant to today. You, like all the others I know of on my Do-Call list, spent the day sick.

Sorry about that.
But I live in hope that you'll be kissing the long weekend-houred "day" job goodbye sometime soonish.

No caffeine por vous?
Should I know why?
So forgetful of so many things...

I hope you feel much better soon!
-lee

2:38 AM  
Blogger - caj said...

I don't know if you should know. I'm allergic to caffeine and go through my days and nights without everyone's favorite stimulant.

8:58 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home