Monday, January 08, 2007

Holiday Broken, Part One

I just dreamed an entire book-on-tape and two HBO series from the 90s which never happened. This, apparently, is what my mind turns to when I finally relax.

Man, I never want to be that busy again. Yesterday felt like the first time I was able to just kick back and chill for my whole "break". And what a "break" this wasn't - a break killed by my good intentions and willingness to help out.

First off, way back when last semester was still in session, when my show at the college was ending, I was talking to my friend who co-runs the Earl Hamner, Jr. Theatre. They were preparing the same show they did last year for this year. It's going to be their annual holiday show, a phenomenon that many theaters have and rely on. They put on A Chistmas Carol or A Christmas Story or some other Christmas play every year and rake in the tradition-prone crowds.

Anyway, they were having problems filling the part I played last year, Black male farmer/preacher who sings. First off, it's hard to find actors who sing. It's hard to find males. It's hard to find Black males. Put it all together, and you have a challenge. Add to it that at the same time Live Arts was rehearsing a show with 11 singing and dancing Black people, and the cubbard was pretty much bare. I had told them weeks ago that my schedule wouldn't allow it, and they were pulling their hair out.

A week from going up, (my last week of classes) they didn't have anyone. So I felt sorry for them. Bad idea ...

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I sometimes feel sorry for the poor grizzlies. And the fuzzy tigers. They're so cute and cuddly. Like little bunny rabbits...

But LOOK AT THE BONES, MAN!

I'm glad you've survived and I'm sorry we missed your phonecall.
Please call again when you've a moment. I'm freshly returned from Atlanta and have some theatre chat for you. :)

-lee

1:23 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You are WAY too susceptible to the guilt-thang, my dear friend. I am also sorry I missed your call (was mid-drive from Memphis, our first jaunt out of town in awhile.) No exciting theatre news brought back like Lee the Glamorous, however. (Lee & Annaliese are now officially my glamorous friends that I live thru vicariously, who don't have to deal with potty training or cat barf.) Your other friend Stephen would very much like to speak with you if you call back, hint hint. Beware, however - his semester has also begun, and already his grip on sanity is slipping. Linguistics, pheh.

10:49 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home