Words, words, words
So, I'm a geek. I'm not a particularly good geek or a varied geek or even a big geek (except in the physical sense), but I do geek out on some stuff none the less. For instance, I am a word geek. I'm fascinated by words and phrases and such and how they go together. I especially also love etymology. So imagine my pleasure when I ran across this cool site!
The Origins of Navy Terminology It's sooo cool! Give it a look-see. There are so many surprises.
For instance, did you know the phrase "there'll be the Devil to pay" is originally a naval phrase? I bet you didn't, and I'll be you can't guess where it came from! It's fascinating! Check it out! Check it out!
The Origins of Navy Terminology It's sooo cool! Give it a look-see. There are so many surprises.
For instance, did you know the phrase "there'll be the Devil to pay" is originally a naval phrase? I bet you didn't, and I'll be you can't guess where it came from! It's fascinating! Check it out! Check it out!
1 Comments:
The "Devil to Pay" is indeed entertaining, but I strongly suspect it came about in speech before it was first applied to Naval doings. A chicken-and-egg thing that seems quite unprovable.
But I do so love the language I be willin' t'put up with such nunsense in course of me duties.
PS: Have you perchance read Edgar Pangborn's book Davy?
Post a Comment
<< Home