Sunday, October 02, 2005

This Looks Like a Day For ... Beer Boy!

I have so much beer in my fridge.

I mean, I have sooooo much beer in my fridge.

I have so much good beer in my fridge, and I'm sitting here reading friends' blogs, listening to music (Currently Randy Newman's Good Old Boys), and drinking it ... and that's just fine with me.

Currently, I have in my fridge some Zywiec (although that's just about gone. In fact, I'm drinking my penultimate bottle right now.). Zywiec is a Polish pilsner that has pulled me away from the darker ales I previously exclusively favored. It's currently my favorite pilsner. (If you follow the link, don't pay attention to the main review. The brewery goes to the trouble of putting a thermometer on the freakin' bottle and this British goob drinks it warm and then gripes about the taste. Sheesh!)

I have the Balto MarzHon from the wonderful people at Clipper City Brewery in Baltimore, MD. Clipper City puts out some very good beer. The Balto MarzHon is a quite respectable American style marzenbier. (sp?)

But just so you don't think I'm nationalistic about these things, from Hofbrau Brewery in Munich I also have some Hofbrau Oktoberfest, the real deal in marzenbier.

And now for something completely different, there's Fraoch Heather Ale from Scotland, a beer made (get this) not from barley but from the flowers of heather! Is that wild or what? It's pretty neat, but I'm afraid I'm at lost to describe the taste for you. You'll just have to show up at my door and bum a taste before I drink them all.

[Randy Newman has ended and so what better follow up than Tom Waits's Small Change?]

To continue, (I told you I had so much beer!), I have some Flying Dog Gonzo Imperial Porter from Flying Dog Brewery in Colorado, though I'm almost to the end of that.

I have some Tilburg's Dutch Brown Ale (from the Dutch. Who knew?). My friend, Bob, says that it's the best brown ale he's ever tasted, better even then the legendary Sam Smith's Nut Brown Ale. Well, with a reccomendation like that, I had to try it. I've only had a little so far, so I don't know if I can confirm its superiorty to Sam Smith's, but it is pretty good.

Fear not, gentle reader! I have not ignored Beer Nirvana ... Belgium! I've a couple of beers from St. Bernardus. I have the St. Bernardus Prior 8 and the St. Bernardus Abt 12.

Now I've greatly enjoyed the St. Bernardus that I've had, but truth be told, I bought it mostly because it was in a sample pack that included a goblet, and you just can't drink Belgian abbey ales effectively without the right kind of glass. Goblets like this are built to manage the large heads of Belgian beers, tremendously important if I'm going to really get the most of my Ommegang Abbey Ale. This is my pride and joy. I have just two 750 ml bottles of this stuff and I fear they the time between when they are consumed and my next paycheck. Ommmegang Brewery is run by a couple of ex-patriot Belgians in Cooperstown, NY, and I could tell you if I were in Cooperstown, NY right now, I would be viisiting that brewery ... after I sobered up a little.

I think that's all the beer I have. I may have forgotten one. There may be some stray bottles wandering around the fridge somewhere. I've got a few bottles of wine around as well. I tell you! Never in my life have I been consistantly awash in alcoholic beverages of such variety and quality. This, to me, is a good thing. I think of people out there, in this very city, who are happy with a 12-pack of Miller MGD in their fridge, and it just seems like there are light years between them and me.

In fact, I have so much booze around me, that sometimes I've just gotten tired of it. I come home and I think, "Oh man, I should drink some of this beer I've got but I'm just not in the mood for it." As much as I love beer, it's not my favorite drink. That remains ... well, I wonder if you can guess.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I've heard of Ommegang. It's nice to hear that their beer is that good, because I listed the brewery among my four excellent reasons to move to Cooperstown - along with opera, chamber music, and baseball - and it is the only one that still works in the winter.

I actually tried the heather ale years ago. Haven't had it lately, but I do remember liking it. Thanks for reminding me.

2:26 PM  
Blogger - caj said...

Okay, I really think you need to look into some therapy for this "New York has some of the world's best wines" delusion that you have.

2:27 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think you should go see for yourself, too. On the way to Cooperstown, I think you should stop off in Brooklyn. We have beer, too. And nice neighborhood pubs in which to drink it.

1:26 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home