Wednesday, October 26, 2005

Dead ... Winter ... Holiday ... Weak

Not much happening these days. Work ... relax ... work ... relax ... weekend ... uber relax. I've fallen into a rhythm with the wine shop and (although I know it's an indication of weakness on my part ... hell, to me everything I do is an indication of weakness on my part) I've enjoyed the fact. I feel like things have been so up and down, just give me some time going through some motions ... yeah, I know ... weak.

Anyway, last weekend was really busy, although yesterday was pretty normal. Still, I wonder if we're moving into "holiday time." For those of you not familiar with the World of Retail, Holiday Time, that wonderful time period that starts with the High Holy Days and ends after the Christian (and mainstream American) New Year, that wonderful "Hey, it's the dead of winter and we're still alive! Let's find reasons to celebrate" time, is the boon of the retail owner's existence and the bane of the retail worker's. It's great for the owner because (depending on the type of shop you run, of course) business picks up considerably. Many retailers depend on their holiday sales to have a solvent year.

For workers, it's a bummer for exactly the same reason - business picks up considerably. (I guess it's not a bane if you're working on commission.) Though I've worked retail a numer of times throughout the years, I've never worked through a holiday season. I've been told by boss and co-worker alike that Holiday Time at the wine shop is fun. Apparently it's busy, but customers tend to be in really good moods and there is a festive feeling in the air. Supposedly, this is beacause we are their last stop. They've gone through all the hastle of present buying and party supply buying and such, and now they're ready to get some wine (or some beer) and get off their feet. We'll see. I really should be boning up on my wine knowledge ... but I'm having so much fun relaxing ... I know ... weak.

By the way, when is "the Dead of Winter"? I guess it makes sense for it to be a solstice thing, right? Somewhere in the middle of the season? However, I've always thought of the "dead of winter" as February, beacause here on the East Coast (where I've lived most of my life) that's when winter has been its most bitter, when I start forgetting what it was like to be warm, and when I wish it would just stop and spring would come. I mean, that's when things have seemed really "dead", but my guess is that that's not what everyone else means.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home