The Word for May
It's May, and the word of the month is JOBS!
I hate that fucking word.
Anyway, I've just received my last stipend check as a graduate student, so it's time to have something else for to pay next month's rent. And that something else is ...
... Okay, well I don't know what that something else is, yet, but I'm working on it. I've been asking around. I've filled out at least one application for temp work. I told myself a while ago that I wouldn't do Heritage this summer, because it was too familiar and I should try for something else. Looking back on that, it seems clear that decision was STUPID! STUPID! STUPID!
Or wait. Maybe that decision was good. Maybe it's just that going straight from doing The Cherry Orchard to being in Oregon to being back here I didn't think until too late, "Oh shit. Shouldn't I have investigated some summer work somewhere back there?" In which case, that's the place where I was STUPID! STUPID! STUPID!
Or maybe I should have taken that Shakespeare thing and just abandonded them if something came up for the fall. Maybe the decision not to go with them was STUPID! STUPID! STUPID!
I'm not sure. I'm sure there was some place where I was STUPID! STUPID! STUPID! That's usually the way things work out.
But, to tell the truth, the word for May can't be JOBS, because I still have to finish my THESIS! Oh joy. They wanted more. They wanted me to spend time giving them more. I've been making more. So far I've written self-critique for Akhmatova, The Baltimore Waltz, Chatman, and Les Blancs, which, for all of you playing along with our home game, are all the plays I've directed at UVA other than The Cherry Orchard. (Chatman was piece of political theatre I wrote and directed as the final project for the end of our original works class.) They've given me until the 9th to get them something. I should be able to put something in their hands by tomorrow.
And of course, after (and maybe even while) the word for May is THESIS, it will become 10 MINUTE PLAY!
(Although technically the play is around 12 minutes and technically that's three words instead of one.) (And just how did) we grow to use "technically" as a synonym for "more accurately"?)
The timing for it might not be favorable, however it's only 10 minutes (12) and it's a chance to play with an abstract, almost absurdist piece, though I don't know much what to do other than let the weird be the weird and direct it in general like farce. I think I might want to try an actual farce next. Maybe I should do another original work that features me as a functioning adult. That would pretty much qualify as a farce. Maybe that's the real word for the month.
I hate that fucking word.
Anyway, I've just received my last stipend check as a graduate student, so it's time to have something else for to pay next month's rent. And that something else is ...
... Okay, well I don't know what that something else is, yet, but I'm working on it. I've been asking around. I've filled out at least one application for temp work. I told myself a while ago that I wouldn't do Heritage this summer, because it was too familiar and I should try for something else. Looking back on that, it seems clear that decision was STUPID! STUPID! STUPID!
Or wait. Maybe that decision was good. Maybe it's just that going straight from doing The Cherry Orchard to being in Oregon to being back here I didn't think until too late, "Oh shit. Shouldn't I have investigated some summer work somewhere back there?" In which case, that's the place where I was STUPID! STUPID! STUPID!
Or maybe I should have taken that Shakespeare thing and just abandonded them if something came up for the fall. Maybe the decision not to go with them was STUPID! STUPID! STUPID!
I'm not sure. I'm sure there was some place where I was STUPID! STUPID! STUPID! That's usually the way things work out.
But, to tell the truth, the word for May can't be JOBS, because I still have to finish my THESIS! Oh joy. They wanted more. They wanted me to spend time giving them more. I've been making more. So far I've written self-critique for Akhmatova, The Baltimore Waltz, Chatman, and Les Blancs, which, for all of you playing along with our home game, are all the plays I've directed at UVA other than The Cherry Orchard. (Chatman was piece of political theatre I wrote and directed as the final project for the end of our original works class.) They've given me until the 9th to get them something. I should be able to put something in their hands by tomorrow.
And of course, after (and maybe even while) the word for May is THESIS, it will become 10 MINUTE PLAY!
(Although technically the play is around 12 minutes and technically that's three words instead of one.) (And just how did) we grow to use "technically" as a synonym for "more accurately"?)
The timing for it might not be favorable, however it's only 10 minutes (12) and it's a chance to play with an abstract, almost absurdist piece, though I don't know much what to do other than let the weird be the weird and direct it in general like farce. I think I might want to try an actual farce next. Maybe I should do another original work that features me as a functioning adult. That would pretty much qualify as a farce. Maybe that's the real word for the month.
1 Comments:
>>>"(And just how did) we grow to use "technically" as a synonym for "more accurately"?)"
Just think of it as another little benefit of Microsoft's hegemony. Of course it's a lie, but truth is so 1945...
You sure write well. But i think you ignore the possibility of seeking work in Oregon (or anywhere else you might like to be) that exists even now!
Go man go!
:)Lee
Post a Comment
<< Home