Saturday, April 23, 2005

Drood Blues

Went to see The Mystery of Edwin Drood last night at the university. That's the show that I talked about directing for two years before I changed my mind and went for The Cherry Orchard. It was hard ... but not as much for the still kind of wishing I'd done it, but because that's the last show I'll see at UVA as a student.

For three years, I've lived the dream. I've lived in the town I've loved and done what I loved and have been almost able to make ends meet doing it. Pretty soon now, just like so many of my friends, that's all over and who knows what follows? I mean, yesterday I looked at a job in Chanute, KS. I actually had to sit and consider whether or not it was worth applying for a job in Chanute, KS. What the hell is in Chanute, KS? Nothing much as far as I can tell. It's only an hour or so from Tulsa, OK. Woo-hoo! So bizarre to consider putting me there.

Ya' know, the world just sucks. I used to sescretly envy my friends in the computer field whose interest was programming and networking, etc. It seemed like they were able to pursue their interests for more money than I was certainly seeing in an ample field. Even though I rode in their wake for a while, by a trick a genetics, I wasn't a computer guy. My interests and stregths have always lain in the Arts. I was happy for them, but it just all didn't seem fair.

Well, that field isn't ample any more. We all got washed out when the rising tide receeded. I think of my father who did the old fashioned "Work for one large Corp for life and retire from it" thing. No solace there when you think of all the layoffs he's had to dodge, the demotions from politics, the reorganizations. I bet no one feels safe, satisfied, and secure. Even election stealing fucks like W. Bush and his cronies. Here they are; they've successfully thrown two presidential elections, they're nominating the people they want, they're passing just about all the initiatives they want, and the world looks to be an oyster that just needs democracy brought to it in so many oil rich places. You figure they must be as happy as pigs in shit. But, I bet they aren't. I bet they're annoyed by the piddling resistance they encounter. I bet they're worried about what happens in three years. I bet they're fighting amongst themselves. I mean what kind of world is it when heartless, selfish, evil men can't even be happy?

Oh don't pay attention to me. I'm just whining.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

For Gods sakes, call Eric.

I feel your pain my man. Deeply and truly.
That said, you could couch surf for a long time if your possessions didn't tie you down somewhere.

As to my own existential pain:

http://www.livejournal.com/users/leemoyer
Come visit.

:)Lee

PS: Call Eric already!

3:08 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home